11/24/2008

I Love Paul. No, Not That One.

One lovely benefit of the book Lyrics coming out, by Paul Simon, is that he's doing a bit of a book tour. So, I'm hearing and seeing more of Paul Simon lately than I have in a while.



His music has been in my life ever since I can remember.

A friend told me about Pandora.com - a site where you can create your own "radio station". They use information from the music genome project, which breaks music up into different elements. You can click that link and read more; that's about all I really understand about it. What it boils down to is this: You enter the name of a musical artist you like. Pandora will play that artist's music - and will add other artists that have similar musical qualities. Since she told me about it, I've been listening to Paul Simon radio. sigh Bliss.

My favorite concerts... well, I don't know if I can really pick just a few. But near the top of the list is Paul Simon, right after Rhythm of the Saints came out. It was amazing. He had a stage just FULL of musicians, all kinds of drummers and players. But his spirit... It was like this: all those musicians were there, and it wouldn't have been the same without them. But the music itself seemed to pour right from Paul, all of it did, right from his center. This teeny little guy, with a guitar almost as big as he was, and it was flowing from him. I also saw Simon & Garfunkel in Atlanta, in '83. I'm glad I was there - it was my first musical road trip. (Also in Atlanta a few years later? Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Fox Theater. Holy moly.)

I know he got some grief for marrying Edie Brickell - 24 years his junior! But, who knows where or when love will find you?

I'm glad he's still around, still playing music. His music is in my heart and my cells and my breath. A lifetime of love.

2 comments:

Cap'n Franko said...

I like a lot of his music and Ronnie is 17 years younger than me on the calendar but ever so much more mature.

Anonymous said...

And they have been together 16 years -- an unusually long marriage for celebrities!

When I was 15 and knew nothing but Top 40 (do they still do a top 40??) discovering the album Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme was an epiphany for me.