11/05/2008

Halleliujah!



Oh, my. I am SO happy with the result of this election - or, as Stephen Colbert termed it, The Final Endgame Alpha Action Go Time Lift-off Decide-icidal Hungry Man's Extreme Raw Ultimate VoteSlam Smackdown '08 No Mercy: Judgement Day '08... '08.

I would have been a nervous wreck yesterday if I had taken the time to get in touch with what I was feeling... so I didn't. After the 2000 election, I don't put much stock in polls... or actual election results. Part of me wanted to just go to bed at 6 and wake up this morning to find out who our next president will be. And part of me wanted to stay glued to CNN listening to every nuance of every exit poll out there. I compromised: I mostly ignored everything 'til Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert came on at 10. I figured, if the news was bad, at least I'd be laughing. The boys and I watched a Samantha Who? episode we'd recorded, then I watched/slept through some program about garbage dumps and recycling. Then - at 10 - I tuned to Comedy Central - and the first result I heard was Jon Stewart saying, "Obviously, it's still very early in the evening, but certainly this night is playing out according to Barack Obama's game plan." WHAT?! Really?!!! So I switched between Comedy Central and CNN the rest of the night, until Barack's speech in Chicago, watching those sweet numbers roll in.

I was expecting his mood to be light, but he came out quite serious. There was hardly a smile during his very moving speech. He looked... presidential.


He looked a little like... a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

3 comments:

carri said...

I know! I know! I'm still riding the high of the results last night!

And you know, if I wasn't already completely smitten with Obama, that speech last night would have done it for sure.

Cap'n Franko said...

I felt a little like this when Jimmy Carter won, returning the presidency to an actual elected office-holder. I remember feeling pretty good when Kennedy beat Nixon because I remember hearing Nixon's "good Republican cloth coat" speech in the 50's as a kid and even then you could tell he was just plain evil.

But this... This is transcendental!

Leigh said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog!