6/27/2008

Heart of My Home

Mrs. G asked - What is the heart of your home? She wrote today about her family room. I can see the history of her family, the love and stability and LIFE. It's lovely.

We recently moved to our home, and it got me thinking: What is the heart of ours?



The dining room, where we share some meals, draw a lot, read some, play games... we spend a lot of time there. But... nope.



This is the view of the kitchen from the dining room. Notice I'm not showing the sink. One day, instead of a pile of boxes and miscellaneous stuff, we'll have a nice cafe set, where we can eat breakfast or hang out. For now? Not the heart.


My office, which has my altar where I meditate in the mornings. Lovely books to remind me how (and where) to center. The computer where I work and surf the web, connecting with SO many people through their blogs or websites. Also home to my drums, my heartbeat and lifeblood. Nah - I spend too much time alone in here. Good alone time, sometimes, but... no.


My first thought was actually the living room. Home to video games, comfy couch, TV, cozy places to cuddle and read. We spend probably the most time here, laughing and just being together. But, that's not it either.


Aaaah. THIS is it. This is the heart. Us, together. Like Calvin's dad of Calvin & Hobbes, I had to snap many, many pictures to get us all 3 together with eyes open, looking at least vaguely toward the camera. Seth's face is as close as I'm getting to a smile from him. It was a lot of laughs for this early in the morning - especially for Evan! He's usually sleeping this time of day.

But this is it. It doesn't matter what we have around us, as long as we're together, growing together, sharing stuff, opening ourselves up with each other, learning safe vulnerability and unconditional love... it really doesn't matter what else we have, where else we are. I love our new home... but it would be awfully empty without these guys. They are my heart, the heart of my home.

14 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

What a great twist! Your boys are excellent sports.

Mary Alice said...

ohhh that's sweet. It is the love of the people in the home that make it a home or not. Moving is always so exciting fresh and hopeful - and yet daunting. Happy settling in with your family.

blackbird said...

Aww, sweet post...

Anonymous said...

I'm just settling in as well and there's no way I'm posting pictures! lol

I love your sofa...pretty pattern and the cat dishes on the table, LOL, that I can sooo relate to. Where would we be without our kiddos and our catties?

Thanks for sharing that. I always used to think the heart of the home was the kitchen. We all cook and share good times in there, but in this new place it's starting to feel more like the backyard, which is a nice change. Have a good weekend!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Perfect! Really perfect.

However, the drums are ULTRA COOL!!!

KEEP BELIEVING

oliver rain said...

Wonderful! That's my true heart of the home too!

laurie said...

this is tops! better than dogs and beer!

(though i do love your kitchen floor, too.)

Mrs. G. said...

You guys are a wonderful heart of the home-the one that most matters! I like all your drums!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more!

As for your drums, I was feeling hip for having just one and now I see that I'm a geek by comparison. :-)

Anonymous said...

You're so right; it's the people you love who make a place home.

Anonymous said...

I love that ... but I see an amazing, amazing kitchen space there amidst the boxes, too ... happy family, great kitchen ... magic! Thanks for visiting my house today!

Your Pal Pinki said...

Nice sunlight on the table.

califmom said...

Thanks for taking us on a mini-journey to the heart of your home. I love your interpretation.

Colleen Paeff said...

Aww. What a sweet post. And I loved seeing the inside of your house. :) My husband is always accusing me of being a peeping tom because if a curtain is open in someone's house as we walk through the neighborhood I can't help looking through the window--I don't go right up to it and peer through, mind you, but I'll always have a glance. So thanks for letting us glance into your home!